Black Bean Schmear with Asparagus Sourdough Toast
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained, liquid reserved
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon infused olive oil*
- ¼ cup chunky tomato salsa
- Kosher salt
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Aleppo pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-wheat sourdough bread
Puree drained beans, onion, garlic and infused olive oil in blender, adding reserved liquid as needed to achieve consistency of peanut butter. Add salsa and salt to taste; pulse to combine.
Blanch asparagus in salted boiling water until tender-crisp; 2-4 minutes. Drain, shock in ice water, drain again and pat dry. Halve lengthwise; toss with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and Aleppo pepper to taste.
Toast bread, spread with black bean mix; top with asparagus. Finish with a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper. Makes 4 servings, about 10 mg THC each, based on a 20 percent strain.
*Get the recipe for infused olive oil here.
Photography & styling by Paul Lowe