Cornbread and Summer Vegetable Salad
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- ½ cup unbleached flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2¼ cups buttermilk, preferably full-fat, divided use
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup infused bacon fat, melted
- ¼ cup un-infused bacon fat, melted, plus extra for greasing the pan
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 scallions, trimmed, cut into pieces, divided use
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 avocados, cubed, tossed with fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups fresh-cooked or frozen sweet corn, thawed and drained if frozen
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, slivered
Heat oven to 350° F. Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl.
In another bowl mix, 1½ cups buttermilk, eggs and both bacon fats. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Transfer to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet greased with uninfused bacon fat.
Bake until golden brown and set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely. Crumble into large bowl; set aside.
In a blender or food processor, mix mayonnaise, remaining ¾ cup buttermilk, garlic, 3 scallions, chives, dill and mustard until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon coarse pepper and salt to taste.
At serving time, roughly chop remaining 3 scallions. Add to cornbread along with dressing, cucumber, arugula, avocado, corn and mint. Toss gently to combine. Makes 8 to 10 servings, each about 14.1 to 17.3 mg THC based on a 15 percent strain.
Recipe by Laurie Wolf