Photography by Eva Kolenko
Candied Ricotta Brownie
Fresh ricotta might seem over-the-top considering that its subtleties are muted by more assertive company. But starting with the best ingredients leads to the best results. The ricotta holds well in the refrigerator so feel free to make it a few days ahead.
- 5 large eggs, divided use
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided use
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided use
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons, melted, divided use
- 8 teaspoons (38 g) cannabutter, melted
- 1½ cups quality cocoa
- ½ cup flour plus 1 tablespoon, divided use
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups fresh ricotta, recipe follows
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup candied pineapple, finely chopped
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup crystallized orange peel, finely chopped
In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together 4 eggs, 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 cup melted butter and cannabutter, scraping down the sides.
Sift together cocoa, ½ cup flour and salt and stir into egg mixture; don’t overmix. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta and the following: 1 egg, ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter and mix well.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining tablespoon flour with the chocolate chips, pineapple, ginger and orange peel and add to the ricotta mixture.
Spread half of the brownie batter into a greased and parchment-lined 8-by-8 inch pan. Layer the ricotta mixture on top and cover with the remaining brownie batter.
Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Cool for at least an hour and slice into 16, 2-inch squares, which have 5 mg THC depending on the strain.
To make homemade ricotta: Bring 6 cups whole milk, 2 cups heavy cream and 3 cups buttermilk to a low simmer and allow the curds to form, about 30 minutes. Do not boil. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth.Recipes courtesy of cannabis cookbook author Laurie Wolf