Infused Hummus with Pancetta and Vinegary Onions
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for serving
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or more to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon infused 1:1 olive oil*
- 16 ounces hummus, homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon za’atar spice mix
- Grilled naan or pita bread
Cook pancetta in olive oil in heavy skillet over medium heat until crisped but not brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels, reserving pan drippings. Add onions to pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and nicely caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Add vinegar and salt; remove from heat and mix onions with pancetta.
Stir infused oil into hummus; transfer to shallow serving bowl and mound pancetta-onion mixture on top, leaving a margin at edges. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley and za’atar; serve with grilled naan or pita bread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings; THC depends on dosing of infused olive oil.
*Get the recipe for infused olive oil here.
Recipe by Laura Yee
Photography by Eva Kolenko