Shaved Squash Salad with Yogurt Vinaigrette
This is a riff on a northern Italian pasta dish that usually calls for black pepper. Pandel punches it up further with cumin, coriander and red chili.
- 2 ounces red verjus
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 6 cups butternut, sweet pumpkin or long of Naples squash
- 2 endives, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 tablespoon pepitas, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, toasted
- 12 basil leaves
- 12 mint leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cup yogurt vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1 amaretti cookie
Heat verjus and add cranberries to plump; set aside. Peel squash, slice in half, remove seeds and shave into thin slices with a peeler or mandoline.
Combine all ingredients except the amaretti cookie. Toss with vinaigrette and check for seasoning. Garnish with grated amaretti cookie. Makes 4 servings, each about 11.4 mg THC based on a 15 percent strain.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons cannahoney*
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, toasted and ground
- Kosher salt to taste
Whisk together all ingredients and taste for seasoning. Reserve for raw squash salad.
*Get the recipe for cannahoney here.
Recipe by Chris Pandel
Photography by Frank Lawlor